Photographing children with Claudia Cabrero
We sat down with Claudia Cabrero and asked her about her passion for capturing children.
And wanted her top tips for photographing children, for you to take away and remember the next time you take out your camera or phone.
Claudia is one of our favourite photographers at the moment and we love the way she captures childhood. Claudia lives in Zaragoza, Spain, but has been living in France for 10 years in between. We also invited her two daughters, Valentina and Olivia, for a mini interview.
Luna: What is your favourite place, Claudia?
Claudia: My favorite place is Paris, this city inspires me endlessly. I have been there so much times and I always discover new places. I love to just walk in the streets and observe people.
What is your inspiration?
I think my life is my inspiration. And all the places where I have been. As well as films, people I have meet and of course my family.
What dream are you working on at the moment?
I am work on two dreams. I am studying for a very important exam to become a French teacher for adults and I try to take beautiful photos and create my own style.
How did you become a photographer?
Three years ago I started to play with my digital camera and I decided to study photography to learn the technique, because I had so many ideas that I wanted to realise. But it was difficult for me to do the photos as I envisioned them.
And why children photography?
My daughters, Valentina was 3 years old back then and Olivia was 9 months, became my inspiration, my muses. I wanted to discover the world around them with them and my camera.
What makes photographing children so special?
Because they are so natural, children don’t have complexes, they always do and tell what they feel and the photos are authentic.
What is your vision of capturing childhood?
Capturing childhood is showing how children feel, what they discover, what they imagine…
Your favourite brands for children?
I love so many brands! Belle Chiara, Bonet et Bonet, Tambere, Oeuf, Arsene et les Pipelettes, Cosmo Sophie, Magnolia y Olivia, Mainio Clothing…
And I love vintage inspired clothes and funny prints.
Can you give mums who want to take nice pictures of their children your Top Three handy tips?
1. Children move A LOT! Move with them.
2. Look at your children when they play and discover, you will take beautiful photos during these moments.
3. Always take your camera with you.
3 questions for Olivia, 3 years:
1. What is your favourite food? I love rice with tomato sauce.
2. Who do you love? I love to dance and paint a lot.
3. What do you like to do in the weekends? Playing with my sister and friends in the village.
3 questions for Valentina, 5 years:
1. What is your favourite book? I love to read. I am learning every day and there is a book that makes me laugh a lot: Princesses also throw farts.
2. Your favourite ice cream flavour? My favourite is Mango ice cream! And I also love chocolate 🙂
3. What do you wish for your birthday? I would like to have a LOL surprise game.
Thank you Claudia, Valentina & Olivia!