Perfect knits for kids for British Wool Week 2018
Baby, FASHION, Kids
Wool as a natural, biodegradable and renewable fibre. On top, it is durable, super-soft and can be very fashionable as well! Wool Week is just ahead of us and we are here to tell you why it is taking place, what makes wool so interesting and of course, we are sharing our favourite knitted garments for little ones too.
From October 8 until 21 this year, you will see wool in the spotlights! During these two weeks, there will be loads of events to raise awareness of British wool in the UK.
There are over 33 million sheep in the UK and they produce between 35,000-40,000 tonnes of British wool every year. Unfortunately, wool sales are declining and we need to raise awareness of the many factors why wool indeed is a smart purchase!
So why is wool so good for you?
Wool is natural and sustainable
Wool is a protein fibre formed in the skin of sheep, and is, therefore, one hundred percent natural! It is one of the most effective forms of all-weather protection known to man, and because it is a renewable, recyclable and biodegradable natural fiber it is sustainable too.
Wool is warm and cosy
Instead of wearing multiple layers of cotton and synthetics, your child only needs one merino base layer to stay warm. In addition, merino is known for its softness and its non-itch quality. Therefore it is ideal for babies’ sensitive skin as well.
Wool is water resistant and breathable
Did you know that real wool has a water repellent effect? Wool can absorb up to 30% of its own weight in moisture before it feels wet. This draws the moisture away from the skin and does not leave you feeling damp. A breathable garment is so important for your comfort! In contrary, as an example, polyester fabrics make you feel uncomfortable very quickly because they do not absorb any moisture and make you sweaty in no time. Or cotton, once moist, it will cling to your body like a cold and heavy sheet.
Wool is resilient and elastic
Wool fibres are naturally elastic and have the ability to stretch comfortably with the wearer. And are then able to return to their natural shape, making them resistant to wrinkling and sagging. This feature also means that wool items can be worn for a long period because they do grow with your child. And another important factor: The protective waxy coating on wool fibres makes it resistant to stains and dirt. Which saves you time and energy for laundry!
Wool is trans-seasonal
Wool constantly reacts to changes in body temperature and is not only suitable for cold winter days. Actually, it is a natural heat-regulating fabric that adapts to your body temperature. Another reason why wool is recommended for babies because they are unable to tell you if they are feeling too cold or too warm.
Wool is easy to care for
The days of hand-wash only are over. YAY! Many wool products can now be machine-washed and tumble dried.
Wool is odour resistant
Wool is very efficient and since it can absorb sweat and release it into the air before bacteria has a chance to develop, there will be no unpleasant body odour. That is why you do not need to wash your woolen items after every wear, which is great for the environment too.
Wool is naturally safe
What does naturally safe mean? It means that wool is not known to cause allergies and does not promote the growth of bacteria. Also, it is naturally flame-retardant, and a naturally high level of UV protection.
You see, wool is the perfect durable and earth-friendly choice. Not even science managed to come up with an alternative.
And to show you that wool can be very chic too, we gathered our favourite pieces for you:
1. Hand knitted waistcoat with flower embroidery.
2. Striped tube scarf in various colour combinations.
3. Beautiful garter stitch pants with cute pom poms.
4. Green ‘bugs cardigan‘ for little explorers. (exists in adult size too!)
5. Flora mittens hand knitted from soft merino wool.
1. Dress with intricate scallop pattern on a contrasting bib.
2. Woolen baby slippers.
3. One of a kind piece of art hand knitted collar. Finished with a rich in detail floral embroidery made by hand using soft merino wool.
4. Striped sailor jumper in red.
1. Beautiful jumper with romantic ruffles.
2. Hand-loomed bonnet made of 100% cotton in mustard or dusty rose. Beautiful hand embroidered detailing and scalloped crocheted edges finish off this heirloom piece.
3. Beautiful hand-loomed cardigan made of 100% cotton in mustard or dusty rose. Intricate hand-embroidered designs and coconut wood buttons finish off this heirloom piece.
4. Leopard cashmere triangle scarf.
5. A bold 100% baby alpaca wool knitted elephant with a playful tail.
And psssst… we have some more autumn inspiration, including knits for you!